Major bus operator optimizes public transportation management to improve service levels while containing costs.
Scope Technologies developed and deployed an effective solution for public transportation management. In 2009, it was deployed in two major South American cities on 3000 buses, and was extended to a third city in 2011.
The clients had to manage a large operating fleet but were limited in their ability to plan and control their assets and drivers. They faced the following challenges:
- Poor capacity and fleet utilization
- Ineffective driver management practices which led to poor time compliance and vehicle abuse
- No visibility of bus locations which delayed response to dynamic situations
- Poor customer service experience due to late arrivals at bus stops and reckless driving
Scope deployed technology to serve an innovative public transportation scheduling system. It provided total control over transportation costs including crew and fleet. The total solution also optimized the timetable and required number of vehicles, while ensuring compliance with planned route, driver and passenger safety standards. Key components included:
- MHub tracking device with GPS tracking
- Geofences that determined entry and exit against planned times and thus reported on route compliance such as deviant arrivals, departures and off-route sequences
- Opening and closing of doors measured against plan
- Checking and confirmation of drivers’ seat-belts
- Integration of passenger fare counters with MHub, to confirm correct fare
- Measuring speed, acceleration and braking of drivers to ensure driver safety compliance
- Accident detection, alerting and response
- Improved crew schedules and asset utilization, yielding lower costs
- Significant improved route compliance resulting in tax benefits from local governments
- Improved service level for passengers through more punctual timetables
- Better driver and passenger safety and comfort through improved driving style
- Enabled instant reaction capabilities for shipping additional buses to specific segments or during peak hours
- Improved reconciliation of fare collection per bus route
We turned to Scope because we were looking for a fleet solution to improve our bus system and raise our operating standards. Not only is our public happy, we’ve also been able to cut costs and made our buses a lot safer to drive.