Cold Chain and Transportation Management
Scope Technologies, in collaboration with some of its partners, delivered a solution for one of the largest cold-chain warehousing and distribution operations in South Africa.
With a fleet of more than 220 vehicles, the client had difficulty managing its operational compliance as related to temperature control, route adherence to plan, driver communication and protection, as well as asset protection and productivity. In addition, given the high value of the goods transported and the trucks themselves, the client risked theft of the vehicles and their contents.
A 3-pillared solution was implemented:
1. Planning: Trucks were routed using Roadshow according to an optimal drop-sequence which would limit the number of kilometers travelled and improve truck utilization.
2. Tracking and route compliance: To ensure effective vehicle tracking and compliance to planned routes, Scope technology was installed. This included OBC devices for central reporting and a Gantt-chart route management that alerted to exceptions such as when vehicles were off-route or late. This integrated planning and tracking allowed for proactive management of routes and orders.
3. In-board compliance technology: A comprehensive set of in-vehicle diagnostics was installed including:
- Four temperature sensors, 2 for each of the multi- compartment vehicles carrying frozen and chilled goods.
- Driving style measurements consisting of speeding, harsh- braking, excessive acceleration
- Hands-free voice communication to ensure easy contact with drivers
- Panic buttons in case of emergency
- Cargo door sensors to control theft, in case doors open outside
- 23% reduction in fleet operating costs
- 50% improvement in route adherence, including drivers sticking to stop sequence
- 75% reduction in theft and stock losses
- Significant improvement in filling orders and delivery service levels
- Ability to report in real-time on current in-vehicle and historical temperatures, and directly to the customer on order delivery status.
- >70% reduction in accidents measured during 2 years since project inception