Scope solution improves driver safety, increases compliance, and reduces fuel consumption for multi-national gas company
Scope Technologies, in collaboration with its partners, delivered a global solution for a large multi-national gas company, with an eventual installation footprint in more than 20 countries. This solution provided the ability to control and manage gas tankers, emergency healthcare gas LCVs and specialist cylinder transport trucks.
The client had thousands of vehicles around the world. As many of the vehicles were in emerging markets, the client was faced with the following operational challenges:
- Accident rates were higher than deemed acceptable. Due to the nature of the goods transported, including very dangerous gases, these accidents presented a risk not only to those on the road but also to the broader community
- Poor vehicle adherence to route plan and poor real-time management of customer delays
- Lack of standardisation of the technology and operating processes– the client was unable to benchmark and, most importantly, drill down accidents and inefficiencies
- Fleet operating costs were higher than targeted due to vehicle damage and abuse while driving, extraneous fuel costs due to excessive idling, and similar factors.
A solution was implemented that included:
- Scope’s tracking solution was integrated with the client’s planning tools to provide a cohesive plan for actual reporting, real-time alerting and route and order management.
- Driver behavior was managed through vehicle-measurements. By monitoring the speed, braking, excessive acceleration or excessive idling, the solution reported information to a central driver scoring tool, enabling drivers to be ranked against a benchmark. Drivers failing to meet standards could be retrained or reassigned.
- Accident alerting allowed for real-time reporting and reconstruction of vehicle accidents.
Using Scope’s fleet solution, the customer achieved the following:
- Driver safety improved including a > 50% reduction in vehicle accidents.
- Route compliance improved by > 30%
- Driving style improved, resulting in reduced kilometers, and lower
fuel consumption by >20%
We were very concerned by the risks posed by our gas tankers to their drivers, as well as the fear of harming the public in highly populated areas. Scope helped us watch and improve our safe driving habits and save a lot of money on our vehicles and routes.